Monday, January 11, 2010

"More Fast Food My Way"

I know, I know . . . I promised I would do some postings here during the weekend but, unfortunately, I had to work! :(

Yesterday morning I was kind of mad because I didn't have bread for breakfast, so I ended up making pancakes . . . using a box of yellow cake mix!  I had no idea how they would come out--had never done it before--but I thought that the cake mix looked awfully similar to the pancake mix, and decided to give it a try!  I can't give you the exact proportions because I eye-balled everything, but, I think I used half the package of the yellow cake mix, half a can of evaporated milk, 2 eggs, maybe a 1/4 cup of oil and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.  Put everything into the blender and . . . voilà! . . . pancake batter!  And, of course, being as eclectic as I am, I don't use Aunt Jemima syrup on my pancakes . . . I like sweet condensed milk on them! :)  And . . . yes, the pancakes were yummy! :)

Well, going back to not having bread . . . I was watching Jacques Pépin's "More Fast Food My Way" and, wouldn't you just know it? . . . he was making Tibetan Flatbread. Cooked in a frying pan.  In mere 15 minutes or so!  Wish I had known about it yesterday!!! :)



Tibetan Flatbread

4 servings

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp salt
1 cup water, plus about 2 Tbsp more for steaming the bread
1 Tbsp olive oil

Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the 1 cup water and mix together with a sturdy rubber spatula to create a thick gooey dough. Spread the oil in a cold 12-inch nonstick skillet. Add the dough to the skillet. Dip the spatula into the oil in the skillet and use it to press on the dough to flatten it in the skillet. (The oil will prevent the dough from sticking to the spatula). Add the 2 Tbsp water to create a bit of steam and get the bread cooking. Cover and place over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. The water should be gone and the dough should be frying at this point. Reduce the heat and, using a fork, turn the bread over. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes. Uncover and set aside to cool a little bit in the skillet. Cut into wedges and serve.
Share/Bookmark

No comments: